Friendly Notice

My interest is in recording my observations and opinions during the performance of my counter narcotics employment. The viewpoints are my own. It is specifically intended that this blog shall contain no information that is privileged or confidential. If anyone discovers anything herein that they beleive is privileged or confidential please bring it to my attention. Nothing herein may be republished without permission and attribution.



Updated each Friday (more or less)

Friday, April 2, 2010

Slow week in Mazur and the Mortgage mess

I have learned that the Buzkachi season is over – no more games at the stadium down the road. The match that I viewed from our guard tower may have been the last one of the year.

Saturday I attended the CNAT staff meeting.  They do not use the progress slides for the past week and the next week’s preview slides that the Jalalabad team uses.  Also, they did not pause for translation.  It was therefor, not easy for me to follow what was happening.  Each team member talked about their projects, and the interpreter translated what they were saying at my ear. It was very difficult to understand.  The fact that my hearing aid amplifies the person speaking as much (or more) that the mutterings of the translator does not help.

The CNAT offices are in town.  I estimate they are three or four miles from the RTC where I stay.  The team leader and the translator both recommend that I not come in every day.  I plan, therefor, to go there about three times a week. Sat. for the staff meeting for sure and two or three other days.

The building contractors here do not put "goose neck" water traps in the sink, floor, and shower drains.  The sewer gasses waft up into the bathroom.  Not a good idea.  The only worse idea is turning on the electric vent fan and closing the door so as to get rid of the smell.

I have learned that several of the team members are not computer literate.  Also, the team’s annual plan just consists of a rewording of their statement of work,  No details as to how they plan to fulfill the broad objectives, etc.  Wednesday, I proposed to the team leader that I teach a project management class.  He thought it was a good idea.  I can introduce some fundamental planning concepts and tools in the course of a very basic project management course.  I expect that I can give them enough to be useful in about three or four two hour sessions.  It is difficult to estimate because of the language thing.  I will prepare some materials and take them to the translator at the Saturday staff meeting.

This has been a slow week.  I have been occupied, though, with completing a refinance loan on my FL condo.  It has been a night mare.  I do not know how they stay in business.  Six months to complete.  One silly repetitive mistaken thing after another.  It deserves to be talked about. I’ll chronicle the miserable experience this weekend and add it to this posting.

The Mortgage Mess has been moved to it's own page at the upper left of the blog

No comments:

Post a Comment